As the Government of Ghana representative, Ms Yvonne Quansah was appointed as a Director of GWF in 2009 and currently also functions as the Executive Director overseeing the Company’s financial management. Her role includes conducting monthly or periodic reviews of the Company’s accounts and proposing the appropriate direction, in terms of credit, investments, and other new business that could maximize profit.
She is an economist with a good understanding of contemporary macroeconomic, financial sector issues, with extensive experience in public debt management, economic cooperation with donor partners, loan/credit facility structuring and financing for both domestic and external funds and aid management. She is currently a Chief Economic Officer responsible for the Multilateral and Bilateral Aid Desk of the Ministry of Finance & Economic Planning (MoFEP), where she has been working since September 1990 when she joined the then Aid & Debt Management Unit.
From 2001 to 2009, she was the Director of Aid & Debt Management at MoFEP, and was in charge of the overall management (technical and administrative) of the external and domestic and on-lend/guarantee debt, including aid management of Ghana. In this capacity, she participated in several major negotiations on behalf of the Government of Ghana, including the following: –
- Member of Ghana’s Capital Market Committee team that facilitated and negotiated the debut sovereign bond of US$750million from the International Capital market in 2007.
- The leader of the Finance team to negotiate a $622 million Mixed Credit Loan facility with the Chinese Government and China Export-Import Bank in 2007 for the implementation of the Bui Dam Hydroelectric Project.
- Member of the Ghana team that negotiated debt relief with the Paris Club group of creditors for Decision and Completion Point under the Enhanced HIPC Initiative.
- The leader of the Ghana team that had bilateral consultations and negotiations with Ghana’s fourteen (14) Paris Club Participating creditors for Decision and Completion Point debt relief. Also debt relief negotiations with Non-Paris Club members and commercial banks such as Kuwait Fund, Saudi Fund, China and South Africa.
- The government of Spain – Ghana Government Protocol agreement for bilateral assistance.
- IMF-Poverty Reduction and Growth Facility, World Bank – Poverty Reduction Strategy Credits, and African Development Bank Group Poverty Reduction Strategy Loans negotiations.
By way of education, Ms Quansah holds a B.A. Degree in Economics (1989) and an M.A. Degree in Economic Policy Management (2001) from the University of Ghana. She has also undergone extensive professional training and participated in several international seminars/workshops, including the following:
- Legal Aspects of Debt Management – United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), 1992, 1995 and 1999
- External Debt Monitoring (Harare) – World Bank & African Development Bank, 1992
- Debt Management; International Loan Negotiation & Renegotiation – International Law Institute, USA, 1994
- Debt for Nature Swap, Cote D’Ivoire — World Bank, 1995
- Advanced Users in Commonwealth Secretariat Debt Recording & Management System (CS-DRMS), London -Commonwealth Secretariat,1995, 1997 and 2002
- Asset & Liability Financial Management – Training Consultants, USA, 1996
- Strategic Planning Under the Medium Term Expenditure Framework – World Bank- Ghana, 1998
- Debt Management Strategies and Techniques – Crown Agents (UK), 1998
- Financial Programming & Policies – IMF Institute — US., 2004
- lnter—Regional Debt Managers Seminar – Rwanda, Ghana, UK, Ethiopia, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006
- International Seminars & Conferences on Aid & Debt Issues – Geneva, USA, UK, Ireland, Europe, Japan
- Public-Private Partnership – International Law Institute USA – 2007
- Organisational Change Management, Danida Fellowship Centre, Denmark – 2010
- Financial Sector Issues and Analysis, World Bank Treasury Department – 2010 & 2011
- Project Management, Monitoring, & Evaluation, RIPA International – 2011
- Leadership and Management Skills. Euromoney UK – 2012
- Study in South Africa for Corporate Bond Market Development – 2013
- Study Tour in the UK – for Corporate Bond Market Development – 2013
- Contract Management – GIZ / GOPA & MDF – 2015
Ms Quansah has also served as a facilitator/resource person at several international workshops as well as conducted or participated in a number of studies and reviews, both locally and internationally. These include:
Resource Person – Regional Workshop for middle office operations and risk management, 2009
Institutional Management and Preparatory Mission to Liberia for National Debt Sustainability Analysis workshop in 2008
Facilitator, Ghana In-country workshop on CS-DRMS 2000+ organized by Commonwealth Secretariat, WAIFEM and Ghana Government for the staff of Bank of Ghana, Controller and Accountant General’s Department, and Aid & Debt Management of Ministry of Finance & Economic Planning – September 2006.
- Workshop Coordinator and technical facilitator (new financing strategies technical group) for Ghana Debt and New Financing Strategy workshop in July 2006.
- Technical facilitator for Debt Data and Portfolio Analysts Group for Nigeria Debt and New Financing Strategy workshop in January and October 2006
- Institutional Management Mission to Debt Management Office, Abuja – Nigeria
- External and Domestic Debt Data & Portfolio Analyst for WAIFEM and Debt Relief International workshop on DSAs in The Gambia and Sierra Leone, in 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2005.
- Facilitator for Ghana External Assistance Strategy Workshop in 2002; handled New Financing Strategies.
- Facilitator for WAIFEM Train the Trainers Workshop for the West African Sub-region. Specifically handled debt data and portfolio analysis for 2002 and 2004.
- Debt Data Review analysis in preparation of Debt Sustainability Analysis in Tanzania and Mozambique.
- Part of a team that conducted a review and analysis of Government of Ghana’s Debt Strategies and Policies under the Fiscal Sustainability Study financed by British Department for International Development (DFID).
- Part of a team that conducted a Study of Aid Flows Budget, Balance of Payments and Monetary Effects financed by British Department for International Development (DFID).
- Part of a Team that prepared User Manual for the transfer of debt data from Commonwealth Secretariat Debt and Recording Management System Version 7.2 to Debtpro software.
- Part of the Team that conducted Ghana’s Debt Sustainability Analysis for Decision and Completion Point with the staff of the World Bank and IMF.
- Member of a team (coordinated by the World Bank) that assisted in the establishment of Eastern and Southern Africa Institute for Debt and Reserves Management, now Macroeconomic and Financial Management Institute.
Ms Quansah has also served on a number of committees and Boards including the following:
- Economic Policy Coordinating Committee (EPCC), Public Expenditure Sub Committee
- OMO and Auctions Committee
- Chairperson of the Cross Debt Clearing House Committee
- Treasury Management Committee
- Debt Recovery Committee
- Value for Money Audit Committee
- Capital Markets Committee.
- Paris Declaration on Aid Effectiveness – Ghana Local Committee
- Strategic Partnership for Africa (SPA) – Ghana Local Committee
- Public-Private Partnership Policy Drafting Committee
- Ghana Steering Committee for Financial Sector Strategic Implementation
- Chairperson, Ghana Technical Steering Committee for Finscope Survey on the Demand and Use of Financial Services
- Functional Review of MoFEP Technical Committee
- Secretary – National Risk Management Committee
- National Bond Market Development Working Committee
- Chairperson – National Remittances Registry Committee
- Member, Ghana Exim Guaranty Board of Directors
- Member, Ghana National Banking College Board of Directors
- Member, ARB Apex Bank Board of Directors